Friday, May 20, 2016

Breastfeeding and Tongue Tie

Before I gave birth to my first born, I knew I was going to do everything in my power to breastfeed him or her. After a very long (and harrowing) birthing experience, my wonderful Little Fox came into the world. And none of my post birth requests were honored (another post for another time). 

I didn't get to breastfeed my son until almost 5 hours after his birth. He latched on almost immediately! It hurt but he latched on, this breastfeeding stuff wasn't so bad. The lactation consultant came in every day to ask how we were and on his discharge day told me he had already gained back 3% of the 8% he has lost. My milk was giving him stuff he needed already! Awesome! So what if it hurt a little bit? "The pain will go away, use the gel pads and the nipple cream and you'll be fine."

Flash forward 4 weeks and many google searches later... I have had sore and cracked nipples, pain every single time he latches, moments where I practically screamed out when I had to feed him and more than once when I wanted to throw in the towel and exclusively pump (EP) to save me from what I was pretty sure was considered torture through the Geneva convention. I had dealt with two days of fever, chills and nipple pain that passed with a blocked duct and never went to full mastitis (thank goodness), and now in the final weeks I was getting sharp shooting pains through my nipples when he wasn't on the boob (called vasospasm, bear with me). 

When Little Fox went in for his first check up, I asked his pediatrician to check to see if he had tongue tie. The pediatrician was surprised and wondered why I asked. I was having immense pain while breastfeeding, I had read that sometimes the pain can come from the improper latch that tongue tie babies have to deal with and finally, I have tongue tie. And at 29- my tongue tie was never revised & luckily never cause me too many (obvious) complications- but into that later. It's a genetic thing, and I do have cousins that have had their frenulum revised.

But I'm stubborn, and a little bit crunchy, and still determined to give Little Fox the best thing money can't buy. And to allow him to bond with me the way we were deprived of it in the first little moments of his life. So finally, I bit the bullet decided to make an appointment with a nearby lactation consultant. We went over the proper latching method and she was able to see how difficult it was for me to get LF's mouth into the right position. And until now, no one really cared because he was growing like a weed. But something told me something wasn't right. No way could breastfeeding hurt THIS much: and I was right. My LC, this angel of a woman, helped me position LF and saw how frustrating it was- for him and I- to get going in the latching department. She also, had some experience in tongue-ties. 

Tongue ties in the pediatric sector are a widely heated debate she informed me, and many people can not properly diagnose them. A good ENT or DDS can diagnose and perform the frenectomy ? But that there are still people in the medical field that do not believe that tongue tie is a condition that harms baby and it is a medical necessity. And that LF superhuman vacuum suction that rivals a Dyson is because he's overcoming what his tongue can't do to get the good stuff. 

Trying to break the "seal" with him was painful and difficult as the LC was able to see. My LC also happened to be a PA, but none of her findings are official until I speak to a certified DDS that she referred me to to look into LF's tongue tie. But sure as shooting, mommy was right. His tongue was just like mine. 
"Eiffel Tower" underneath the tongue, the inability to fully stick the tongue out, the high palate, and my creasing nipple, the pain while nursing and the shooting pains long after breastfeeding had stopped were all signed indicative of the tongue tie. 

I was able to get an appointment with a preferred provider and have him evaluated. Dr. Tanios (www.laserdentistnj.com) was wonderful. The evaluation was quick and done in my lap, the procedure took less than 5 minutes and right after that he was able to breast feed. As it turns out, he had a pretty moderate tongue tie and a pretty severe lip tie. He was smiling 30 minutes after the procedure. However, this was not a quick fix scenario. 

Now we are 2 1/2 weeks post surgery, doing stretching exercises every 4 hours to be sure that as his lip and tongue ties do not reattach improperly. They will always reattach, it's the level of healing that is protected with the stretches. Then for the next two months, twice a day we continue the stretches. Day 3, 4 & 5 were pretty brutal for poor Little Fox. I wish I had gotten the Hylands teething gel earlier (I got it around day 10), it eased his pain so much more than just the arnica. In the past three weeks I have seen improvement in how he uses his mouth, how often he smiles and we have improvement in breastfeeding. Less overall grassiness and soreness is still present but a lot less toe-curling pin for mama. Some people still think I'm crazy, but at least I know I'm doing what's best for him to gather nutrients- which is like more than a third of how he spends his days. 

I am still in contact with my wonderful LC and we have begun chiropractic care to correct LF's muscles. (All soft touch. She's not "cracking" his neck, folks!) and if I still feel he's a little stiff we will seek CST (craniotomy-sacral therapist) to help retrain his muscles. 

This situation worked for me and my breastfeeding relationship. Do your research and trust your gut instinct mommas of the world, your baby depends on it. 

Some excellent links if you believe your LO has tongue and/or lip tie: 

http://www.drghaheri.com/ - Dr. Ghaheri, US's top doctor on Lip and Tongue ties. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/- Tongue Tie Babies Support group- Many an hour was placed pouring over this group. It helps to know you're not alone and see what's worked for other mommas & poppas! 

http://www.lactationcentralnj.com - If you are in the Central Jersey area, and breastfeeding check them out! They even have little breastfeeding momma's get togethers! 



(This is all just my opinion, I am in no way shape or form giving medical advice. If you believe your child has a medical condition, seek the assistance of a certified medical provider. My writings do not replace that of a medical provider.)


Right after feeding after our procedure! Hi mouth looks wider and more relaxed and he was able to latch, no problem!  

A little milk drunk face, a week and a half post surgery. Sleeping longer and going further in between feedings. It's rough on mommy, but he won't remember the pain and he's getting bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment